Sunday, February 17, 2013

"Maybe you'll get a tattoo saying 'Florence roofied me!'"

As I'm sure I've mentioned before, Professor Looney is the greatest help and resource here in Florence! Not only is he approachable about any subject, not only does he spend hours touring us around the town, he also feeds us! After the Pitt student party at his house, he mentioned that he wanted to have all the Pitt advanced students over for dinner at his apartment to discuss our adjustment and any suggestions for improving the program.

After almost 8 hours of class on Tuesday, all the advanced kids headed over to Professor Looney's apartment for dinner. It was a great night; we talked about our experiences at CCF and CAPA, integrating into the Florentine community, and also Professor Looney/his wife's family. Professor Looney even joked about possible tattoos we could get to remind us about our study abroad experience... hence the title of this blog post. They talked about their kids and how they met; it was truly amazing! Both of them are the sweetest people and are always open for conversation; they're like our Florence parents!

That night was Fat Tuesday, so I just HAD to go out! I met up with a few kids from CAPA and we partied like it was 1999. It was a really fun night that was only a taste of what was to follow the rest of the weekend.

This is a short post, so I'm going to comment on something that really bothers me about Florence, and that is the fact that people don't pick up their dog's shit. Now, I understand that there isn't a lot of green space in Florence- everything is cobblestone, cement, etc etc so the dogs have no choice but to use sidewalks as their bathrooms, but what really makes me upset is the fact that MANY people just leave it on the sidewalk. WHAT?!? Can someone please help me understand this? The entire month-ish that I've been here, I've seen a grand total of 4 people pick up dog shit... it just truly amazes me because this is a WALKING city... why make it harder for everyone by leaving smelly poop all over the damn place?? Rant over.


No comments:

Post a Comment