Sunday, March 3, 2013

2 weeks in 2 paragraphs.

Turns out that I suck at blogging... or maybe it's just that I haven't really done anything too exciting or crazy in the past 2 weeks.

The most exciting thing I can think of was the announcement of Machiavelli's arrest on February 19th, exactly 500 years after the original announcement! My Understanding Modern Italy class took a short field trip to a piazza near Palazzo Vecchio, where there were men in costume complete with drums and trumpets. Around 3:30 a man riding a horse read the warrant for Machiavelli's arrest from a parchment roll! The whole group of 14th-century-clad men marched over across the Ponte Vechhio and over to the Piazza della Signoria, concluding in front of the Biada Monastery. It was a really fun experience, especially seeing the reactions of people, both tourists and Italians, who had no idea what was happening!

Another exciting thing that happened was when Alex Bailor (and 2 friends) came to visit! They attend the CAPA London Program, but visited Florence for a few days during their tour of Italy. It was really nice to see a Pitt friend and even more fun to feel like a tour guide! It was amazing to realize how much I've learned about the city in the short time I've been here; I was able to recommend restaurants and, most importantly, gelaterie... but I was also able to give short history lessons on buildings and the city!

So... that's about it. Stay tuned for the beginning of spring break: Rome edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment